Friday, April 1, 2011

Lessons from Korea


The next day in Korea was filled with cultural learning.  We toured a museum, learned to play the drums and do a traditional mask dance, and then we traveled to Korea's very own version of Disneyland.  The park was awesome despite the fact that I was still super sick.  Later that day, while still at the park, it began to snow.  What a crazy Spring Break!

My final day in Korea was spent in closing ceremonies, finishing up some last minute shopping, and going out one last time with some great friends.  This was definitely a trip that I will never forget.

Some things I learned:

1.  Don't be intimidated by people.  We are all human, we all have positive and negative qualities.  Being able to see past those and to love people for who they are is what can set us apart.

2.  Don't exaggerate accomplishments.  You've done something cool?  Great.  It isn't necessary to one-up, just be proud for others.

3.  Embrace new experiences.  Best case scenario: you find something you love.  Worst case: you find something that you don't love, and you're able to definitely say so.

4.  Always, Always, ALWAYS, bring medicine with you during international travel.  Pack a variety.  Sinus, headache, stomach, anything you can find.  Antibiotics are priority, but only if attained legally, of course.

5.  American snacks are also a must.  Don't get me wrong, international cuisine is one of my favorite things, but there is just something about the richness of American food that I was missing.  My peanut butter and crackers worked well, but I would have loved to have packed a few other things.

6.  Jet lag kicks tail.  The past two days, I have literally taken at least two naps.  My time clock is still backwards, and it doesn't seem to be evening out at all.  It doesn't help that I have three tests this week.  Ah, c'est la vie.

Being in Korea, I didn't only learn about Asian culture.  I learned to appreciate and embrace all that we have here in America.  Yes, Asia was incredible, but I'm pretty fond of the good, old USA. 

I had an amazing time, but I'm glad to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment