Sunday, June 10, 2012

Farm Livin'


Last night (June 3), we arrived at the farm.  Having bought train tickets and been given specific directions about which trains to take, we headed out with our heavy bags.  Did I mention the rain?  Hannah and I arrived to our first stop and got out.  Confusing signage led to us watching our train leave the station in front of our eyes.  Because it was Sunday and things in Germany are a little different then, the trains were later and not running as usual.  We waited, got some paprika chips – only after the real chips I wanted were listed in the machine for SIXTY EURO - , and then finally made it to the next station where we realized that we had an hour until the next train.  Our host family was supposed to pick us up, so we were probably an hour late.  We were sitting in the station, and a lady walked up and said our names!  It happened to be our host mom who came to pick us up when she noticed that we were so late. 

She took us to the farm, and we got settled in.  We were instructed to wake at 7am for breakfast with work to begin at 7:30.  This is summer, yeah?  I rarely wake before 9am at school.  Farm livin’.  My general duties consist of watering the animals, shoveling goat crap, feeding the ponies, collecting grass for the goats, and then – throughout the week it has been different – some combination of moving giant piles of rocks and digging giant holes.  It’s really tough work, but as my friend and I have discovered, tough work brings about loads of self-examination.  Some beneficial, and some downright terrifying. 

Aside from tough days of work, there really is a lot of time for resting, most of which we fill with reading or exploring the countryside.  Being able to see the Alps from the road really does make just walking worthwhile.  Again, this provides time for introspection. 

Another note, my (female) friend and I share a room.  As in, I can touch her bed when I’m laying in mine.  Needless to say, we are learning a lot about each other but even more about ourselves.  More to come on that as I continue digging.

Finally, let’s talk food.  We have been taught since Day 1 here about this, apparently, well-known fungal substance known as kefir.  We drink kefir shakes and eat kefir dumplings.  I assume that it’s in everything we eat.  As a result, our digestive systems are in tip-top shape – take that as you will.  The family eats a predominately vegetarian diet, definitely new to me, but I think I’m getting used to it.  I still tend to ask, if only for comedic value, “Where’s the beef?”  It’s not here.  It won’t be.  I miss it.

So this is my life for the next five weeks.  It’s interesting.  I’m learning.  I’m growing. 

And that’s exactly what I wanted.   

1 comment: