Tuesday, February 8, 2011

All Around the World

So, I found out the other day that I will soon be traveling across the globe to Seoul, South Korea!


I have never been out of the country before and am super stoked that my first time will be in this place.

On March 17, I will begin my journey to Yonsei University where I will study Korean language, history, and culture for one week.  I know it's not the ideal time frame to experience all of Korea, but I'll take what I can get for now.  This will be an incredible experience.  I'm traveling with a company called CIEE that is super legit and offers tons of study abroad opportunities.  I'll be going with about 75 students from all over the U.S..  We will visit the Demilitarized Zone, see various museums and sights in Seoul as well as a traditional Korean village, and take taekwondo classes.  It doesn't seem real at this point, but I'm going!  Hoop yeah!


Along the lines of world travel, summer plans are forming.  As of yet, the State Department has not given a yes or no about the internship, but with it already being February, I don't exactly have high hopes.  In my search of finding other summer plans, I found a program in Amman, Jordan with CGE (another study abroad program).




For two months, I will studying Arabic and taking in much of the Middle East.  Program plans include seeing the Dead Sea, Petra, the Red Sea, etc.  So, so legit.  Arabic is a super difficult language and one that is much needed by the American government right now.  With this in mind, I'll study abroad this summer and try again with State next year.  In the meantime, I'm stoked about this opportunity.  It's still in the planning stages, but things are moving in the direction of Jordan.


Clearly, I'm wanting to travel the world right now.  What better time is there than when I'm in college, right?  Additionally, if I intend to make a career out of serving in other nations, I better experience it early and make sure that I actually enjoy it.  Wouldn't want to be thrust into the jungles of some African nation only to discover that I don't like being away from the comfort of the Red, White, and Blue.


And just so she doesn't feel left out.  



Final tidbits and stories to come:
  • Thinking about changing my major...again.
  • Saw the Civil Wars Barton Hollow Tour opening show.  There aren't words to describe it, but I will attempt to come up with something.
  • A look at the changes that are happening, the growth I'm going through, and how tough growth can be.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment