Sunday, June 5, 2011

I live in Amman, Jordan

Jordan is incredible.

I love absolutely everything here: the heat, the people, the language, the food, the culture, everything.

After many hours of traveling and a small spell of dehydration on the plane, I was so ready to have my feet on the ground.  Upon arriving, I was picked up at the airport and taken to my apartment.  I stepped out of the car to be greeted by a lovely dead cat lying on the sidewalk.  Jordan may not have the cleanest streets, but there is definitely something to be said for the views you can get from atop its dusty hills.  Our apartment is incredible, much nicer than what I had envisioned for this summer.

Several hours later, my roommate arrived.  When he got here, we went back to the apartment to unload our stuff.

The next several days were filled with getting to know people and exploring our neighborhood.  This can be fairly difficult when you know little to nothing of the language, but we made due.  We were treated to some very nice dinners by an American family here and were able to just spend time with their family, including their two awesome kids.  We met the third student who will be studying with us, and we got a new roommate who isn't studying with us - because he has been speaking Arabic since he was born.  He's awesome, and I'm sure he will provide some much needed assistance over the next 9 weeks.  I'm super excited to spend my summer getting to know these people.

One of the things that I have come to love about this culture is the aspect of community.  Yesterday, I was sitting out under the arbor at my apartment, and two men just walked right up and started speaking to me in Arabic.  Answering what little I could, I quickly realized that they were our downstairs neighbors just coming up for a chat.  Although it wasn't any lengthy conversation, it was something that almost never happens in the states anymore.  Secondly, last night, when we were watching a movie, my Iraqi roommate asked me if I liked Pepsi.  Replying with a yes and not really expecting much else, he jumped off the couch, ran to the kitchen to grab me a cup, and poured me the last of his Pepsi while he went on and on about how much he loves the drink.  Being a male college student, I'm well aware of how rare this would be in the states, as well.  Nine times out of ten, I'm begging my roommates to share food with me, much less for them to get up and fix me a drink at their own will.

Yesterday, we visited Tel-Amman, which includes the ruins of the old city.  It was so legit to see a place with such ancient history.  The United States, being such a young country, just doesn't have the richness that can be found among the hills of Amman.
 A view of Amman from one of the hills.

Some of the ruins in Tel-Amman.
The Roman amphitheater.            

The hand and the elbow of the state of Hercules.


I start Arabic classes in just a few hours.  I'm nervous but also really excited to start learning this language.  I've picked up several words already.  For instance, if you need me to direct a taxi for you, I've got you covered.  What I don't have covered are food words.  I have eaten some of the most delicious food of my life, but I honestly can't tell you the name of one thing that I have had, nor can I go to a restaurant and order it.

Needless to say, this has already been an incredible trip.  Every time that I walk through the city, I have to remind myself that I'm living in the Middle East.  Six months ago, I never would have imagined that I'd be here.

I live in Amman, Jordan.  Woah, still sounds crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment