Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dead Sea and Wadi Mujib

Yesterday was without a doubt one of the top five best days of my life.

We headed out in the morning on our way to the Dead Sea.  It's the lowest point on the Earth, and the water is about ten times saltier than what's in the ocean.  There are some hotels and beaches, but there are no boats allowed on the sea, so the water is so peaceful.  I have never seen anything like it.  The drive through the valleys of Jordan was beautiful in itself.  I could have stopped right there.

After passing the road that leads into Palestine - it's closed off currently because Jordan refuses to recognize it - we made it to the Dead Sea.  Now, I knew that it was going to be big, but I couldn't have imagined this.  It's absolutely massive.



We parked the car and headed down to the sea.  Again, could have stopped here.  The hike through the rocks and along a little inlet was enough for me.  We made it down to the coast, white from all the salt buildup, and started to get in the water.  You have to be really careful getting in - see the face I'm making when I'm getting in the water.  The water is so salty, I can't even imagine what it would feel like in my eyes.  Instantly, the differences between this body of water and others present themselves.  First of all, you are literally floating on top of the water.  No lifeguard needed because it would be nearly impossible to drown.  The salt causes buoyancy, so you can sit back, float, stand up, run, jump, (sort of) swim, without getting your head wet.  Secondly, if you take a look at your hand under the water, it looks just like you are swimming in a vat of oil.  It was crazy, a surreal experience.


We got out of the water, and yet another difference.  Your skin doesn't know what to do without all the moisture that's been sucked out, so your it's soon as dry as it's ever been.  That sticky feeling that comes from the ocean is definitely there but multiplied by ten.  We hiked up to a waterfall to wash off before heading on for the rest of the day.  Could have stopped, but the day only got better.



Next, we headed to Wadi Mujib.  Basically, it's a huge canyon with a river through it.  We hiked up the river, which included rapids and huge rock formations that required us to use ropes to climb up rock faces and waterfalls.  The river also included leeches, which nibbled at your ankles the entire time.  Wadi Mujib was definitely one of the coolest things that I have ever done.  The sheer beauty of it all was astounding.  At the end of the wadi, there were three huge waterfalls.  On the way back, there are many parts of the river that are deep enough to float down, and there are several points where sliding down waterfalls is the only way to get back.  I was floating down the last part of the wadi and noticed a Jordanian sitting in the river.  As I passed by, he pulled my leg over to him and held me baby-style.  All I could hear was him asking, "Masaji?"  Over and over.  Embracing the culture, I obliged and settled in for my massage.  Couldn't ever come by that in the U.S.  In typical Arab fashion, he offered me a cigarette, which I declined, and then sent me on my way.  Nice to meet you, too, sir.  Have I told you that I love this place?

1 comment:

  1. Masaji, is nomad for "Will You marry my daughter?" Just thought you would want to know. Don't be surprised if a whole community shows up on your doorstep! Have fun. Liked the post.

    ReplyDelete