Friday, June 17, 2011

What I Miss About Camp


Allow me to take a break from the Jordanian adventure.

I've been torturing myself lately by spending what probably amounts to several hours of creeping through videos and photos of Centrikid 2011.  

As you are well aware, I chose to spend my summer just a little bit differently than last summer.  Although I don't regret the decision at all, a lot of my heart is rooted in Centrikid, and I do miss it so much more than I thought I would.  In honor of that hole that exists in my heart, I'll now be listing a few of those things that I miss.

Here's to nastalgia.

1.  Van Rides.  Travel is one of my most favorite things, and it becomes so much more exciting when done with amazing people.  It is for this reason that I miss riding in a van with twenty of my closest friends.  Whether it was singing, dancing, asking "What's one thing I don't know about you," breaking down,  van rides were always a good time, and we were able to bond so much during them.

2.  Dance Parties.  My team was composed of some of the best dancers that this world has ever seen.  Anytime that a song was on, you could bet that someone was busting a move.  Parking lots, restaurants, Walmart, everyone saw us, and we had no shame.  Why?  Because we.were.legit.

3.  Mexican Sundays.  Every single Sunday of camp, we went out for Mexican food.  Again, favorite food, favorite people.  What else does a person need?

4.  Matching.  Typically, I hate matching anyone else, but wearing the same thing as twenty other people makes you feel really connected.  Not to mention that everyday was composed of athletic shorts and a t-shirt.  Did this style put me in a horrible, never ending rut when I got back to school?  Yes.  My friends chose to name my new style "Camp-Chic."  I embrace it.

5.  Snapple Word of the Day.  For some reason, our team was obsessed with Snapple.  As a result, during every team meeting, we had a special time for the Snapple Word of the Day.  So much useless knowledge was gained.

6.  Snow Cones.  Loved making them, loved eating them. 

7.  Cuddle Puddles. Who doesn't love a good cuddle puddle?  In fact, we loved them so much that several of us chose to spend the last four weeks sleeping on a palate on the floor.  Normal.

8.  Taking Five Minute Showers.  Now, I know that this doesn't seem like a positive aspect, but it just comes with the territory.  When you don't even have time to enjoy a good shower, you know you're at camp.

9.  Running Through Walmart.  Walmart trips were a glorified scavenger hunt.  Budgeting, secret encourager gifts, necessities.  Get it all and get it quick.

10.  Skycroft.  I think I speak for my whole team when I say that when I think of camp 2010, I think of Skycroft Conference Center.  It was home.  The Lord did AMAZING things there.  I met many of my best friends there.  Skycroft holds a special place in my heart and will do so forever.  Skunk hunting can be included in this category.  Favorite pastime, especially at 2 am after I had talked myself awake during the night.

11.  Watermelon.  My team fancied the watermelon over all other fruits.  We had it almost daily.  

12.  Signing Autographs.  Makes you feel like a celebrity, even if only for a minute.  I'll never forget one kid in my Bible Study who came up to me literally weeping because he had to leave.  I remember my camp counselors from when I was a kid.  It's so weird to think that some kid remembers me in that same way.

13.  Silly Bands.  I worked camp during the era of the silly band.  As a result, I received fifty over the summer.  I wore them until probably March to remind me of what God did and continues to do.

14.  Secret Encouraging.  Each person on our team had a secret encourager who was supposed to surprise them with gifts, mail, notes, etc.  This was awesome because our team was full of baller gift givers.  People cried.  It was amazing.

15.  Sour Patch Kids.  Just another one of team's vices.  

16.  Rec Crew.  We had to get up about 30 minutes earlier than everyone else and set up rec everyday.  Although it was often a pain, we had a lot of fun together.

On to the serious stuff.

17.  Schedule.  Every minute of camp is scheduled.  Real life just isn't like that.  Now, while I do enjoy the freedom, there's just something about a schedule life that leads to peace.

18.  Worship.  Worshiping God when you are absolutely exhausted is one of the most incredible feelings in the world.  Giving everything you have allows the Father to provide.  The rest one experiences from giving all to the Lord is surreal. 

19.  Kids.  The kids that come to camp are there for a reason.  They come to experience the Lord, but they also come to teach the staff.  I learned so much from the kids who would share their lives with me.  I know that I poured into them, but I'm also certain and thankful that they were able to pour into me.

20.  Discipleship.  My team wasn't only full of best friends, but it was also full of disciplers.  We all taught and were taught throughout the summer.  Whether being lifted up in prayer, rebuked for wrong attitudes, or encouraged to keep pushing, those people were the definition of what it means to disciple.  

21.  Validation.  The adults that come to came serve such an awesome purpose.  They are so good at building up the staff and taking care of us just like a family.  Hearing their thankfulness that we loved their kids gave me the support that I needed to keep going.  Adult leaders were so good to our team.  We couldn't have done it without them.

22.  Accomplishment.  All summer, I knew that I was where God wanted me, and I knew that I was diligently working for His kingdom.  Although I am still trying that, it isn't as a clear now.  God used me to impact the lives of these kids in ways that they will never forget.  That's what I miss more than anything.

23.  Team.  I can't say enough how amazing my team was.  I'd do anything for any one of them, and I know that they feel the same.  Those twenty people will always be my family.  I think of them everyday and am constantly reminded of the lessons that I learned from them.  Never have I ever met people like them.  

One conversation that I remember from camp concluded with the idea that camp was the closest that a human can get to being in Heaven.  I think that is the most accurate description that can be given.  I could go on for hours about the things that I miss from camp, but I think I'll leave it for now.  

I pray daily for all of you who are working camp right now, and I know that you'll feel all of this as soon as August hits.  Woof.
  

1 comment:

  1. Well said,Kirby. Reading this just made my day because it is truly inspiring to see you, a former student, out there inspiring others. I am inspired by you and your journey! Thank you, thank you for being such an awesome example of the power of God!

    ReplyDelete